Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fear And Desire (Part 1)

On one end, we have to overcome our own fear, whether it be of failure or of success to breakthrough to new levels of personal success.

On the other end, we have to build the desire to break through those fears and build the desire in the minds of our prospects for what we have to offer in order to help them break through their own barriers and jump on board in our success wagon.

Mastering both fear and desire internally and externally will make you more than
a few dollars . . .

Today, let's talk about these two big pink elephants in the room in a candid way. I
must warn you. Some of the things I share will be very personal. I ask that you simply keep this between us.

First let's talk about the big bad wolf of fear and how it plays into our money and
recruiting getting efforts.

For me, when I began I had a HUGE fear of selling. Later that fear grew with each
rejection I endured trying to dial my way to millions.

It got so bad that just the thought of speaking to another lead got my heart racing.

Seemed like by the six or seventh month I had to literally psych myself up just to pick up the phone.

It was something of ritual . . .

I'd be on the drive home from work thinking about my little home business that "couldn't" and up would pop this lump in my throat.

All those thoughts of what had happened in past days trying make "it" work hurt.

Getting hung up on. Getting yelled at. Being called the lowest scum on the planet just for trying to grow a little old business.

Those things stung, and I did try to forget them, but they only seemed to lodge their
way deeper into my psyche.

If flat out scared me. I didn't want that pain any longer. Slowly but surely this lead calling thing started to loose steam, but then . . .

Up popped up good friend desire from somewhere deep down inside. He flashed visions of a fresh new future in my minds eye. He stoked the fire.

Desire picked me each time I was knocked down. Desire taught me new skills. Desire
carried me through to multiple stream of income and the promise of a new life.

But wouldn't you know it . . .

The checks started growing larger and a weird thing happened.

I got scared again. "What if this works? What then?" Again, with the same heart pumping anxiety and heavy feelings. I just couldn't figure it out.

Why the fear? I wasn't failing.

Ahh . . . This time it was not the fear of failure, it was his other face, fear of
success. How can you fear success? The the thing you had worked so hard for . . .

Less and less did I want to do the things that were working. I knew if they kept
working I just might make it out of that little old job I had, but then what?

People would look up to me. What would I say? I'd have more free time. What would I do with it?

This fear was not one of known failure, but one of the unknowns of success. And well, you want to know what happened next?

You guessed it . . .

My good friend desire showed up again.

This time he too had a different face. He wasn't the desire for more, my champion of
the past. He was different. Let me explain.

As a high school wrestler, I faced this same foe - fear.

First I feared loosing. And there my desire for success gave me the strength to win.

When I began winning, I began to fear winning big, and somehow in my largest matches I still found a way to loose.

Being a champion at that point was too scary for me. I folded, not for lack of skill, but fear of the responsibility of success. In those moments, I felt complete defeat.

Not physical, but self imposed and complete utter personal defeat. I hated myself for it.

I had betrayed myself. I told myself never again would I let that happen.

When that fear of success arose in me again in my business I remembered him from the past and . . .

I remembered my promise to myself and my desire to never let it happen again.

So I didn't.

Fear of failure was my first foe. He was defeated by the desire for a new future
at any and all cost.

Fear of success soon followed. He was defeated by my complete and utter desire to
never let myself down again.

Fear and desire have no face. They can arise in the best and worst of times. These foes are forever at battle within us.

Fear wins. We lose. Desire wins. We win.

The secret is . . . to find the desire in every situation which outweighs the fear.

You do this, and you will never be defeated.

We've spoken of personal fears and desires.

In our next meeting, we'll discuss how these titans wage war in the minds of your
prospects, so that . . .

Here's a hint. We always find a way to buy what we desire, so how do we build that desire in our in prospects?

I'll see you then with a few more pointers.

-----

JACQUES' REMARKS:

The above, courtesy of Daegan Smith, the self-proclaimed "King of Never Calling A Lead" is an online marketer and apparently successful. Let me know if you'd like to get in touch with him and I'll give you his contact data.

Happy Abraham Lincoln's Birthday! And All the Best to You and yours!

Your Friend,

Jacques

No comments: